Do you have a passion for community based health promotion work and motivating your community to be healthier? Are you from the local South Asian community in Calderdale? Are you able to speak English, Urdu and Punjabi?
If so, then the Diabetes Community Champion volunteer role could be for you. You will receive diabetes awareness training at our centre in Hebden Bridge.
Closing date Monday 19 October 2015
What is the role of a Diabetes Community Champion?
- To educate and raise awareness of diabetes to people from South Asian communities, including explaining what Type 2 diabetes is, who is at risk, signs and symptoms, myths and misconceptions, complications, and the NHS and other services that are available.
- To spread the word about diabetes in the local South Asian community by organising awareness stands, talks, drop-in sessions and healthy living days.
- To prepare and circulate diabetes awareness newsletters via social media and traditional methods.
- To provide support, advice and information, helping to instil self-confidence in people and helping them to better manage their own health and wellbeing.
- To commit to a minimum of 1 session per month for a 6 month period
If you are interested in applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a role description and then apply by sending a CV and a letter stating why you want this volunteering role.